- three seeds -- corn, bean and radish
- Piece of cardstock or light cardboard
- ziploc bag
- paper towel
- 2 to 4 weeks of experiment time
- Fold the paper towel in half and crease. Unfold. Poke three very small holes, equally spaced, along the fold of the paper towel Place the seeds over top of the holes (one over each hole).
- Fold the paper towel back up and staple up the side (to make a pouch).
- Label the top of the paper towel (bean, corn and radish)
- Carefully place the paper towel (fold side down, so the seeds don't fall out) into the ziploc bag.
- Tape the ziploc bag onto the piece of card stock, leaving the top open. Tape as firmly as possible.
- Pour a small amount of water into the bag (the paper towel should end up damp) Do not close the bag
- Hang your experiment on the wall in a bright location
- Each morning, check the experiment. Pour more water in to keep the paper towel moist.
- Peek inside the ziploc bag/paper towel to see what the seed is doing
- The seed should break open. The roots should grow down through the small hole you poked in the paper towel.